Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Mountain and the Ocean

.

The snow melts down like tears along the Mountain's face.
The Ocean feels the waterfalls increase.
Why weep, my friend? said Ocean to the Mountain tall.
When will you find the golden light of peace?
.
You stand among the stars, oh Mountain, straight and true,
and all the waters here below look up to you.
To dwell among the heavens must be truly grand,
and yet you cry. Oh Mountain, I don't understand.
.
Ocean dear, my friend, said Mountain's gentle voice,
as clear as night, as deep as Trident's sea.
You give me hope for dreams I have that might have been,
but still I weep for what I cannot be.
.
For you cannot see what I see beyond the stars' fair light.
I ache beyond my wildest dreams to reach it every night.
A world of beauty, I can see it, yet I find now way
to stretch beyond this rocky ground, so weeping, here I stay.
.
Oh, Mountain, give up foolish talk. There's nothing but the stars.
And you can find true happiness here in this world of ours.
Kind Ocean waved and shook her head: what silly dreamer, this:
so tall, so proud, so full of grief, this Mountian's foolishness.
.
But still each spring, the Mountain weeps for places she alone can see.
Beyond the stars, a heaven lies for dreamers yet to be.

No comments: