Tuesday, August 19, 2008

On the Other Side of the Door

Inspired by “Goodbye for Now” by Sondheim, I wanted to write a song about a very specific MOMENT in a relationship. Recalling a blurb I read in Cosmo about how a guy may not kiss a girl on the first date if her really likes her, the following song emerged……

On the Other Side of the Door
.
She: Well, that was awkward.
Of course I had to go and spoil it.
He tried to kiss me.
If I weren’t crazy I’d just stand there and enjoy it.
My brain said “run,” my eyes, “he’s cute,” my body begged for more
But now I’m standing, shaking
on the other side of the door.
.
He: Well, that was stupid.
Of course I had to go and try it.
Saw what she needed.
Figured, hell, I could supply it.
A guy should know it's not "all systems go" until you know for sure.
Cause now I’m stuck here, like a schmuck,
on the other side of the door.

She: On the other side of the door.

Both: On the other side of the door.
We had a white hot night.
She laughed. He payed. The band was fine.
And as the moon rose up to meet the stars
I started jumping ahead in time.
I’m thinking, birthdays, breakfasts, moments, years,
Two point five kids, two careers.
He looks so good. The road's so clear,
So why’d I go and interfere?


She: Well, this is silly.
He: Well, this is useless.

She: Of course I haven’t headed home yet.
He: Of course I’m looking for a reason

She: It’s like I’m stuck here.
He: To turn the key and

She: And I can’t be sure what for
He: Turn my back and lock the door.

Both: If I could turn back time I’d find the cure
For this unbearable moment
On the other side of the door…

On the other side of the door
And we could take things slow
But take them wherever they lead.
The days could tick on by forever
And you could be all that I’d need
It might be wrong. It might all end
The tangled line of lovers/friends.
But I screwed up. I ruined this
With one attempted stupid kiss.
And now the only thing I know for sure
Is that I’m hoping you will find me………….

On the other side of the door……
On the other side of the door……
On the other side of the door…….

No comments: