Monday, July 17, 2006

APAG--"My Father's Son"

This piece is a duet between the Prince (who wishes to win the heart--Ok, more like the alleged potential fortune) of the Miller's Daughter, and an alchemist named Albert who is also kept in the Prince's employ for the purpose of creating gold to finance the struggling kingdom. Both men feel the presence of their late fathers in their lives, but in very different ways....

PRINCE:
My father's son is sitting on his father's knee.
I feel the moment fading back from memory.
My father's hands were big and strong then, my own hands were small.
He offered me the world: I could not hold it all.
.
But time flowed through its bloody veins,
and soon the man that boy became
was cutting corners, dragons, and his losses.
My father's son is on his knees again;
he prays for strength he needs to lead the men
whose futures are his crosses.
.
But how can my father's son become the man his father was
and step out of the shadows father cast?
Though father wasn't always right,
he lived and lead with all his might:
a legacy that beats for me a heavy-handed drum.
Oh, what will my father's son become?
.
.
ALCHEMIST:
My father's son is bent across his father's knee.
I feel the moment, even in my memory.
My father's hands were big and strong then; my heart wanted more.
It wasn't father's legacy I hungered for.
.
But time turned on its bloody head,
and with the boy's dreams nearly dead,
he stumbled on the wonders of discovery.
My father's son has dropped his father's name.
He wouldn't dare deny from where he came,
but knows that greather things are yet to be.
.
Just don't let my father's son become the man his father was.
Let him create a future of his own.
Though father wasn't always wrong,
a man can only wait so long
to turn from grace to fleeing from that heavy-handed drum.
Oh, what will my father's son become?
.

BOTH:
A man is burned like ashes
into the halls of time,
not by who he is or what he's done,
but who he leaves behind...
.
.
(Then both repeat their boldface choruses in canon, ending with...)
What will my father's son become?
What will my father's son become?

No comments: