Sunday, July 16, 2006

"The Healer"

This song is based on a short story by Aimee Bender that I used for Serious Prose Speech Competitions in High School. Still a work in progress...
.
Where I went to high school we had more than our share of freaks.
I mean, sure, we had the goths, the jocks, and that kid who wouldn't shower for weeks
But we also had a girl whose hand was made of fire
and another girl whose hand was made of ice
And that's really freaky Sci-Fi shit
and they caught a lot of hell because of it
at first, but then we all got used to it
and nobody looked twice....
.
The Fire Girl and the Ice Girl
were as different as you could get.
Everyone tried to group them together,
but they'd act just like they'd never met.
The Ice Girl sat in the front with a bucket to catch the drips.
And the Fire Girl sat in the back with her ash and her paper clips.
Then one day in math when the teacher was gone
they did what we'd wanted all along
They reached those hands out palm to palm
and laced their fingertips.
.
And putting all jokes about Robert Frost and the end of the world aside,
in that room the sophomores saw the elements of fire and ice collide.
.
And I was the one who sat in the middle and watched them come together
I saw their hands get normal in each other's grasp.
I saw the fingers, nails, and skin
where once just fire and ice had been
and I heard the Ice Girl whimper
and the Fire Girl gasp:
"Don't let go," she said, "Don't let go."
"Don't let go," she cried, "Don't let go.
You don't know the pain I've been through."
But the Ice Girl pulled her hand away and said,
"Yeah, I do."
.
The Fire Girl and the Ice Girl
started doing their trick a lot.
The Fire Girl'd hold on as long as she could,
but the Ice Girl always got too hot.
And the kids would call them freaks with envy in their eyes,
and they'd gather round and act all sweet and wise,
and say "that's pretty freaky sci-fi shit"
and nobody could get enough of it, at first
but then we all got used to it, and then
nobody looked twice.
.
The Ice Girl was a healer
and a hospital volunteer.
2 times a week she'd drip away
her patients' sorrow, pain, and fear,
but that Fire Girl was trouble, everybody knew.
There was nothing that she wouldn't say or singe or do.
And then one day during a fire alarm
she put her hand on a teacher's arm.
Miss B as singed, her skin unharmed,
but her blouse was burned clear through.
.
Nobody cared to learn the truth
or hear the Fire Girl's side,
and teachers, kids, and former friends
let fear roll out the wrath of judgment wide.
.
And I was the one who stayed after class
and watched them come to get her.
What she swore was an accident they called a crime.
The Ice Girl walked them to the door,
and like they'd done so many times before,
the two girls let the magic happen one more time
.
"Don't let go," she said, "don't let go."
"Don't let go," she cried, "don't let go."
"I don't know what I'm going to do."
And then the Fire Girl pulled her hand away and said,
"You think I do?"
.
And I was the only one from school
who ever went to visit
the poor Fire Girl locked in a cell
with nothing flammable in it.
And I never had that much to say,
didn't tell her the Ice Girl moved away.
I said, "everything's pretty much the same,
and I'm not sure why I came."
And she only kinda smiled at me,
and her eyes looked kind of clear,
and then one random Tuesday, they said,
"Sorry but your friend's not here."
.
And they wouldn't tell me where she'd gone,
but in High School secrets don't last long.
And I heard one about an axe and a firely blaze of glory....
.
But that's another story.
.
And if this one's gotta have a moral,
I've gotta say I've learned
that wanting to be normal....
only gets you burned.
.
"Don't let go," we cry, "don't let go."
"Don't let go," se scream, "don't let go."
"No one knows quite how to get through
all the fire and ice of life...."
.
But maybe now I do.
.
Where I went to High School, we had more than our share of freaks....
,

No comments: